Polly’s Pocket Purse-Tutorial
Here’s what you’ll need to get started…
2- 7″ zippers
1- 6×8″ piece
2- 5 1/4×8″ pieces
2- 1 1/2×8″ pieces
3- 12 1/4×8″ pieces 2 out of fabric and one out of interfacing.
2- 3×25″ pieces
1. Fold the 6 x 8 piece in half and press.
2. Lay it on one of the 5 1/4 x 8 pieces, so the bottoms match up.
3.Pin 1 3/4 inches from each side and 1 1/2 inches in from those pins. Sew a line all the way down to create the pockets.
4. Pin the zipper face down to the top of the piece.
5. Stitch with zipper foot.
6. Pin 1 1/2 x 8″ piece to other side of zipper and sew.
7. Press open.
8. Repeat steps 4-7 on other 5 1/4 x 8 piece. You should have these two pieces now.
9. Sew the sides of these two pieces, opposite of the zipper, together. Press seam open.
10. Lay the back of the pieces you have sewn together to the front of one of the 12 1/4 x 8″ pieces. This 12 1/4″ x8″ piece will be the lining for the zippered pockets.
11. Sew along the seam.
12. I did a reverse applique on the 12 1/4 x8 piece to be used for the front. This is where you’ll google your favorite reverse applique tutorial!
14. Fold the 25 x 3″ pieces for the handles in half. Press.
15. Fold edges to center and press.
16. Sew along open end. Repeat with other handle piece.
17. Take your 2 x3″ piece fold in half with right sides together and sew along two of the open ends. Turn right side out.
18. Make a buttonhole to fit your button.
19. Sew button in the center towards the top of the outside piece. Line this piece up with the interfacing.
20. Pin handles and buttonhole pieces like the picture.
21. Match up the piece with the zippered pockets and the outside piece with right sides together. Pin.
22. Sew around the edges, but leave a 2 to 3 inch opening to turn right side out. Clip corners before you turn and handsew opening closed.
Here you have it!